Plant Process Operator - Newcastle
Job no: A011821
Work type: Full time
Experience Level: Experienced
Orica is the world’s largest provider of commercial explosives and innovative blasting systems to the mining, quarrying, oil and gas and construction markets, a leading supplier of sodium cyanide for gold extraction, and a specialist provider of ground support services in mining and tunnelling.
Orica has a diverse workforce of around 11,500 employees and contractors, servicing customers across more than 100 countries. Our purpose is to make our customers successful, every day, all around the world. We take pride in operating safely, responsibly and sustainably. Together, these enable us to grow and create enduring value for our shareholders.
About the Role
Our team of Process Technicians are highly skilled individuals that operate Orica’s continuous chemical manufacturing plants. The role is based at Orica’s Kooragang Island site, located on the coast near Newcastle. Kooragang Island is one of Orica’s major manufacturing sites, which includes six continuous manufacturing plants, storage equipment and utilities. The Orica Kooragang Island process plants are highly automated, operating with complex control and trip systems, on a 24/7 basis.
The Process Technicians control all plant operations including start-ups and shutdowns. In addition they also carry out plant troubleshooting, minor maintenance, project activities and permit to work coordination. The Orica Kooragang Island site is a licensed Major Hazard Facility where adherence to stringent safety, health, environment and security procedures is critical. The role includes working with other multi-skilled teams to deliver a safe, strong and efficient site.
The role is part of a shift team working on a 12 hour rotating roster. Additional hours are required to be worked to meet business and training requirements.
What you will be doing
- Competent troubleshooting skills in an operational environment
- Demonstrate an aptitude to acquire electrical, mechanical and chemical process concepts
- Work well in teams and willing to take ownership of ongoing personal development and training
- Sound numerical, verbal and computer skills
- Ability to follow procedures
- Safety conscious
- Balanced and rational decision maker, considerate of risks
What you will bring
- Applicants that have demonstrated leadership skills in previous roles
- Applicants that demonstrate aptitude to learn electrical, mechanical and chemical process concepts
- Experienced process technicians of a complex chemical manufacturing process, with a DCS interface
- Qualifications in Chemical Engineering combined with industrial experience
- Qualifications in Certificate IV in Process Plant Technology combined with industrial experience
- Industrial experience with an Electrical or Mechanical Trade
What we offer
- The opportunities, facilities and environment associated with working in an international organisation;
- Career paths that are totally flexible allowing you to specialise or become a generalist;
- A diverse workplace where your unique abilities and talents will be recognised and encouraged;
- Training programs, opportunities and initiatives to ensure your continued growth;
- Competitive salary packages.
We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Medicals and other assessments will be required as part of the recruitment process.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend