Trainee Operator (Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander)
Job no: Campaign - Aboriginal December 2017
Work type: Fixed term contract
Experience Level: Entry Level
Orica is the world’s largest provider of commercial explosives and innovative blasting systems to the mining, quarrying, oil and gas and construction markets, a leading supplier of sodium cyanide for gold extraction, and a specialist provider of ground support services in mining and tunnelling.
Orica has a diverse workforce of around 11,500 employees and contractors, servicing customers across more than 100 countries. Our purpose is to make our customers successful, every day, all around the world. We take pride in operating safely, responsibly and sustainably. Together, these enable us to grow and create enduring value for our shareholders.
About the Role
As part of Orica's commitment to diversity, we are seeking interest for Trainee Operator positions from Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander applicants. These position are fly-in-fly out (FIFO) on a 2 week on, 1 week off roster and will be trained to operate Orica's Mobile Manufacturing Units (MMU's) across some of our key customer sites. These positions are casual contract opportunities with potential for long term engagement.
Our Mobile Manufacturing Units (MMU) are specialised heavy rigid vehicles that mix and deliver our blast product into pre-drilled blast holes on bench, at a mine site. Each MMU has a team of specialised operators that work together as part of a high performing team to safely load and deliver product to our customers.
As a trainee, you will spent time to develop your skills and technical knowledge of our equipment and be trained how to operate safe and efficiently.
Our MMU Operators work a 2 week on/1 week off roster. Our teams and equipment are deployed to various mining locations, depending on contractual and business demands.
What you will be doing
- Training to operate Orica's Mobile Manufacturing Units;
- Assisting with preventative maintenance - scheduled inspections, servicing and organising repair of operating equipment;
- Assist with the delivery of explosive products down pre-drilled blast holes on bench;
- Working in a team environment to meet customer expectations;
- Adhering to Orica's and our customer site safety and other policies and procedures;
- Acting with integrity and respect whilst always striving to excel in your duties.
What you bring
- Mechanical aptitude with the capability, to safely and effectively operate relevant equipment;
- A valid Heavy Rigid (HR) Unrestricted Licence;
- The capacity to commit to working FIFO/shift work;
- A dangerous goods licence and or the ability to pass all security check to obtain this licence;
- Commitment to operating and working in a safe workplace, and speaking up when you foresee potential risks;
- Commitment to partnering with your team and customers, taking accountability for your actions.
What we offer
- Orica is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity in the workplace;
- The opportunities, facilities and environment associated with working in an international organisation;
- Career paths that are totally flexible allowing you to specialise or become a generalist;
- A diverse workplace where your unique abilities and talents will be recognised and encouraged;
- Training programs, opportunities and initiatives to ensure your continued growth.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend